Monday, July 5, 2010

Abbreviations and today's accounting...

Abbreviations that will help in future posts...

WIP - Work In Progress which I'll probably use the most.
MIP - Mess In Progress which I won't use often, though I imagine there will be days.
LOTR - Lord of the Rings, an undeniable influence in my life for good.

I edited my current WIP and added the next scene. Didn't expect that. But I'm happy with the work accomplished. I also did some outlining and wrote some questions to ask my hero. The heroine has a dog, but I haven't decided if the hero does, too, or not.

Sharing with a dear friend that I worry about doing right by the characters, she reminded me that not doing anything is definitely not doing right by them. I have to remind myself that I'm allowed to be wrong and rewrite. Leaving the story untold is worse than telling it wrong.

Nora Roberts said, "The most important thing in writing is to have written. I can always fix a bad page. I can't fix a blank one."

6 comments:

  1. "...not doing anything is definitely not doing right by them."

    Woah, that's a good thing for me to hear today. I have been wasting my time lately, and ignoring my characters -- when there is so much we could be doing together! I'll try to make amends this very day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel, if your characters are anything like mine, they won't allow you to not do right by them. They'll keep prodding, nagging and pouting until you find the right path, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, you are absolutely right, so now I only need faith in myself. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned quickly to ALWAYS listen to my Characters; it's their story after all!

    Congrats, Laurel, on your Blog. Now, dont start having so much fun with it that you neglect your writing, okay! (grin)

    I'll visit back often!

    HUGS, Kari Thomas, www.authorkari.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to figure out how to use it, right? Off to work on the WIP, now. Thanks, Kari!

    ReplyDelete