Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It's begun...

Today, I finished the re-write for my inspirational historical novel that I may be publishing under my real name. I'm still waffling about that. I'm allowed. I also finished the synopsis. I've never written one of those before, so I have no idea what I'm doing. Actually, I had to write a one-page synopsis for this very story when I submitted it to Harlequin. Now that I know more, I understand why it was rejected. This synopsis is a lot longer. I put the synopsis, the first three chapters, and my application all in the proper format (I hope) and emailed it all off to the Mentor Program offered by Desert Rose, my local chapter of Romance Writers of America. A published author will be matched with me, and give me a critique on the material. I expect a lot of red marks on the synopsis. I've talked about it with published authors, but I'm really completely clueless. I understand the overall idea, but putting it into practice is presently an exercise of shooting in the dark. I am very happy with my re-write. The books is so much better. And yes, I expect red marks on that, too, only hopefully not as many. Thank you to the judges in the Phoenix Rattler Contest, offered by the Christian Writers of the West chapter of American Christian Fiction Writers. Their suggestions were invaluable.

2 comments:

  1. Did you open champagne (maybe sparking cider) for the launch off to the mentor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, but I did start on the very next book in the trilogy. :-)

    ReplyDelete