Monday, January 23, 2012

Tribute to Penny Jordan...

Penny Jordan was a romance writer for Harlequin. She past away recently, from cancer. She was only 65 years old. This is the article at The Washington Post.

Why do I mention her, now?

As I was sorting through papers, I unearthed my magazine "Simply Books," put out by Harlequin. This was the most recent issue, Oct 2011-Jan 2012 issue.

A regular feature, which is always printed at the end, is a one-page question and answer article that spotlights a different author in every issue. It's appropriately called, "The Last Word." Poignantly, this one was "The Last Word with Penny Jordan."

When I saw it, my first thought was that it was incredible timing. Perhaps they knew, and planned accordingly. I don't know. It doesn't really matter. What was important to me was that this interview took place before Oct, in order to be ready for print in the magazine. It was fun to learn her favorite flower was lavender, since I love it, too. I especially like it's healing and calming properties. But that still wasn't what made me catch my breath.

"How many books have you written? I think it's about 185--I can't wait to reach number 200." If you read the article, you saw she reached her goal. Amazing.

I don't think I'll ever write that many. Writing 200 books isn't my goal.

What is my goal?

Once I re-evaluated my life, my goal was to throw myself into my writing. I did.

Then my goal was to submit my completed manuscript for publication. I did.

Now, I want to keep writing, with all it entails.

What do I want for the future? I have several ideas, and writing will be a part of all of them. I have my writing schedule for the next year taped to the wall, where I'm able to see it a glance, reminding me where I'm headed. Right now, I'm learning a routine. Once the routine is established, I'll re-evaluate.

What a priceless gift to inspire another to reach higher. Thank you, Penny Jordan.

No comments:

Post a Comment