Monday, April 16, 2012

Desert Dreams Writers' Conference is coming soon...

Registration for the Desert Dreams Writers' Conference continues...

http://www.desertroserwa.org

Loved this post: http://www.naomimusch.com/apps/blog/show/13291322-bending-the-rules-in-christian-romance-guest-post-by-karen-baney

I've realized I've been more than a little vague here. I'm trying to find a healthy balance between what is expected and what is real. The above link will take you to Naomi Musch's blog, where her guest Karen Baney talks about the rules of writing Christian Romance.

She's right about how sanitized Christian romance tends to be. Writers are held to an incredibly high bar of what is and is not allowed. If you fall short, you are accused of not being Christian. I'll be writing more about this, once I work up the courage.

For now, I'm leaving you with the above article. It isn't very long. It's worth reading. It's also a God-given hint to what I've been thinking about of late, and struggling to embrace. I started writing for this very reason, but I've been stumbling in my attempts to meet "expectations," when I knew all along the expectations of others were stumbling blocks instead of stepping stones. God laid out the way before me, but I've allowed those blocks thrown into my path to distract me.

Hopefully, by the time my first book comes out in August, you'll have a fairly good idea of what to expect. I'm endeavoring to be honest when I post what I read, so you'll know I read a wide variety of material, but I don't write a wide variety of material. I'm endeavoring to be courageous enough to share who I am and how I arrived at this point in my life, so you'll know you're not alone, and surviving an ugly past is not only possible but remarkable and the present and future are full of light.

2 comments:

  1. ...surviving an ugly past is not only possible but remarkable and the present and future are full of light.

    This is a beautifully encouraging thought!

    Your conference is coming up soon! I imagine you are looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Margaret.

    I'm excited and nervous. :-)

    ReplyDelete