Thursday, May 3, 2012

Desert Dreams Writers Conference 2012...3

Last day, I helped out in the hospitality suite again, then had pancakes and bacon for breakfast, again. Yes, I love pancakes and bacon. The scale wasn't near the disaster I feared it would be, but then I've been learning to exercise and eat better. I'm proud of myself for sometimes managing to not clean my plate. Tough lesson to unlearn.

Our last speaker was Martha Alderson's Plot and the Transformational Power of the Universal Story. In one of the exercises, I learned a bit more about several of my characters. It was quite powerful to have Martha state that a character needs to be able to burn the old self in order to bring forth the new self.

A Phoenix rising from the Ashes. Isn't that what most of us would like to be? We read self-help books, attend lectures and workshops on self-improvement, seek out blogs on self-improvement because we want to become our best selves. The only way to do it is to let go of the old self, the things holding us back, and allow them to be burned or they come creeping back.

Another oddball thing I learned about myself: I brought my colored pens and used a different color every day, blue, green, purple, black, and red in doing follow up thoughts today. I do well with green. My practical heart will use up all the pens I own, but when I buy new ones, I'm buying green.

No comments:

Post a Comment