Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Thank you, Jimmy Thomas...

Recently, he posted about the importance of using a professional cover. He is on over 3000 covers, so he's speaking as an expert, with a good grasp on the book market. I followed the discussion, curious about the different perspectives and reasons for doing a cover one's self, hiring a professional, and buying a professionally pre-made cover. I didn't actually have a horse in the race because my publisher hires their own cover artists. I have input, but it's mostly out of my hands.

This post isn't about that.

My sister was amazed to learn how inexpensive a professionally done cover could be, at places like Romance Novel Center. (Yes, a plug for Jimmy's site. By the way, he wasn't demanding everyone use his covers, only that they use a professionally done cover.)

This post isn't about that either.

I have to admit, I'm always a bit surprised when a professional gives free advice about their area of expertise, and it's dissed or ignored. Case in point, Chef Ramsey. I'm not a fan of reality television shows. Chef Ramsey is my exception to the rule. I didn't watch him, at first, because his abrasive treatment of others grated on me. I don't remember what I saw him in or if I simply matured, but it dawned on me he was truly passionate about cooking. I love cooking. I bit the bullet, and started to watch him. What surprised me the most? Amateurs ignored the advice of a world-renown expert.

What this post is about: Do I consider myself a professional or don't I?

If I don't consider myself a professional, then why am I spending so much time with my writing and not pursuing something more lucrative?

If I do consider myself a professional, then why am I not giving my career the professional attention it deserves?

I am a writer.

I've often joked that I'd rather write than breathe. This isn't true. It's a joke.

What is true: I would rather write than watch television, socialize, read, eat, or sleep.

Really. I've foregone each in favor of writing.

If it's that important to me, then why have I done a slipshod job of planning my career?

When I started writing I was very much a pantster - writing by the seat of my pants. I wrote when I felt inspired. I could go months without putting down a single word.

I realized this wasn't working for me. I tried being a plotter - writing from an outline. This didn't work either.

I'm a plotster. I start writing by the seat of my pants, then I need an outline, so I know where I'm going, but I'm willing to go where the story takes me. Re-arranging the outline does not throw me into a tailspin. Shuffle, and reset. No problem.

This past weekend, because of the discussion on being professional, for the first time in my life I made career goals, for farther than next week.

Sounds like I've been a flake all my life, doesn't it?

Why didn't I plan career goals before?

Every time I made plans, something would happen. Really. It was easier to take things as they came along, because I knew the surest way to mess up my life was to lay out a plan. I wondered if some minion somewhere spent its existence waiting to see what I would plan, so it could destroy it.

What's different this time?

I can't imagine doing anything else, so I might as well make plans.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent post! I so agree with you. This is the only thing I want to do, the only thing I love to do. So I might as well do it well. I don't want to pursue another career, so this one has to work for me. No Plan B means that Plan A had better work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm glad you're with me, Patty. :-D

      Delete
    2. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. :)

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is, and it's good to be reminded, especially when I've forgotten. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I followed that particular thread too... and I agree, I was shocked at the number of people who brushed his advice aside with the... "that doesn't apply to ME" attitude.

    And... I'm a planner. I'm a plotter. I do NOT like getting my plans changed and you can only imagine the uproar when my characters try to change my plot!!!!! BAD CHARACTER!

    Life has taught me that at the bottom of your plan you need an asterisk.
    *Subject to change. At any moment. For any reason.

    Right now, I have a five year plan. I have four years left...and at the bottom of that plan...
    *Results not typical. May take longer than five years. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!

      I love your asterisks!

      As for characters changing things, I really do love it when they let themselves shine through. Their ideas are always better than mine. :-)

      Delete