Monday, May 21, 2012

Unexpected revelation...

A few days ago, Jimmy Thomas, creator of the Romance Novel Center, gave some very sound advice to independent publishers: Invest in a professional cover for your book. It sparked quite a conversation between two camps: It's-worth-the-investment and I-can't-afford-it.

I learned covers are available for between $45 and $100. When I was thinking of going indy, I hadn't been looking forward to dealing with creating my own covers and had worried about the cost. I hadn't made it as far as finding a professional editor when I chose to work with Desert Breeze Publishing. One of the smartest decisions I've ever made.

When I finally threw in my two cents, I think it was more for me than anyone else.

Why?

I learned something I didn't know about myself. I didn't know I felt this way, or at least, I'd never said it out loud quite this way.

Here's my reply:

Jimmy really needs to stop spouting good business sense. Actually, please keep it up. It's helpful. This discussion has re-affirmed several of my decisions. Thank you. What I've learned over the years: You invest in what you care about, time, energy, and money. Excuses are just that: Excuses. Each person must decide what their priorities are. It's okay to say, "My family is more important than my writing." No excuses about the cost. Writing is not cheap, and it isn't lucrative but for the very top earners. If you're writing for the money you're going to make, stop now. Find something you're passionate about and do it instead. If that something else is your family, awesome. I'm married to my writing, going on a year and a half, after a "courtship" of about nine years. It has been horribly difficult, but I'm happier than I've ever been in my life. If Jimmy's intelligent business advice, based on experience, is offensive to you, maybe it's time for a gut check. The writing industry is brutal. If you can't take a bit of tough-to-hear honest talk, how will you handle your editor telling you that your favorite passage in your book has to go because it doesn't move the story along? I freely admit: I'm a marshmallow, but I'd rather write than breathe.

Update: After the editing this week, I learned I cannot do without breathing. However, I truly would rather write than sleep, and did.

No comments:

Post a Comment