Thursday, June 28, 2012

God bless our troops...

Seven years ago, today, Lt. Michael P. Murphy, USN, a SEAL, was killed in Operation Red Wings.

Last year, I read The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. It changed my life forever.

I bought the book and put it in my to-be-read pile. I knew it wouldn't be an easy read. I knew I needed to be mentally prepared. I waited. I kept glancing at it, thinking I needed to read it soon. But not yet. Then, it was time. I started by reading only one chapter a day. It was all I could handle. I knew what was coming. Then the hard part came. I couldn't put it down. I read clear through to the end in a day. I cried, and prayed.

As I read, I penciled stars in the margin, marking particular passages that spoke to me. I glance through the book, from time to time, re-reading those particular passages. I'm not ready to read the whole thing, again. You see, I start to cry as I read only those short passages.

It's a year later, and I'm reading SEAL of Honor. I read it a bit at a time. I need the breaks because I cry. May God bless all those who serve with honor and courage, and may their families be strengthened. My gratitude is pitiful in the face of such sacrifice, but I offer it all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment