Thursday, July 12, 2012

Favorite cooking shows...

Julia Childs, anything Julia Childs. I remember watching her when I was little. She was my first foray into television cooking. I do remember the Galloping Gourmet, but didn't enjoy his show as much.

America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country from America's Test Kitchen. They have lots of great tips.

Nick Stellino. I love his idea of making your home into your favorite restaurant. I admit that he also makes me blush when he compliments the chefs who visit his show. I can't imagine someone talking to me that way.

Lidia's Italy has taught me a lot about Italian cooking, my personal favorite.

I don't grill but Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen has taught me a lot about the methods involved.

Bake Decorate Celebrate! is all about cakes and cookies and decorating them. I don't do it, but I find the creative process amazing.

I've also watched Jacques Pepin for years. He always makes it look so easy. I learned to properly flip food in a pan watching his technique. It helped when Julia Childs pointed out exactly what he did. Jerk back and pop. A little practice, and I use it all the time when I'm sauteing vegetables.

 There are a couple of Irish cooking shows I've enjoyed.

I didn't like Chef Ramsey, at first, because of his abrasive nature. I saw him on Kitchen Nightmares and realized how passionate he is about cooking. He really does want others to succeed. He expects others to give their best, because he gives it. Anything less than their best, and he resents having his time wasted. I watch anything he does now. I still don't like the swearing, but he's a grown up and I'm not his mother.

Burt Wolf has changed over the years. I enjoy his programs more now, sharing a few recipes and lots of background information about where foods come from and the traditions associated with them. Fascinating.

Simply Ming is watching an artist create a painting with food.

A Taste of History is my newest favorite. The chef explores American history and the recipes to go along with it.

I don't have cable so I know I'm missing out on the Food Channel. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm afraid if I had cable I'd be watching television all the time instead of living my life. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment