Monday, July 16, 2012

Writers In The Storm Blog...

This is one of those blogs I don't make it to often enough. They have some great posts about all things writing. The most recent blog I caught was "Slicing the Salami ~ When Is It Done?"

It's about editing. James R. Preston is the writer, and his title is a lot more fun.

http://writersinthestorm.wordpress.com/2012/07/13/slicing-the-salami/

I actually love editing. It always makes the story better.

How did I learn to love it?

I didn't, at first. I've had people edit my work who would change it until it was something they wrote instead of what I wrote. I didn't ask for a rewrite or for someone else to write my story the way they thought it should be done. I want someone who will point out what doesn't make sense, what needs fleshing out or cutting, what will make it better, not what will please the person editing.

About ten years ago, I offered to edit a friend's story. The next thing we knew we were collaborating. It was for fun. I had to ditch my ego because it was her story first. She has edited work for other published authors, including Nicole Jordan, so I knew she had more experience than I did and knew what she was talking about. I grabbed the opportunity with both hands, and let her teach me to be a better writer.

I discovered I see a lot in my head that I forget to actually write down. She would write back a sentence revised so made more sense to her, and I'd realize what I'd missed. I'd rewrite what she'd sent and send it back to her. We would do this until we were both happy.

She is still my first reader, and graciously helps whenever I'm stuck. Working with her, I've learned to rewrite until it is as good as it is possible to make it and then let go. Could I go back and make more changes? Here and there. I'll learn something new or realize one word might be better than another, but it's also okay to leave it alone once it's done and let it stand on its own. The next story will be different, and I can use all the new things I've learned in the new story.

2 comments:

  1. I know that feeling of having something editing right out of your voice! Frustrating. I've started taking your advice and tearing it apart FIRST. :)

    ReplyDelete