Monday, August 6, 2012

Time to reflect...

There are several things going on in my life right now.

I'm about to have my first book published. Whoohoo! Exciting and scary.

I want to become physically healthier. This requires I lose more weight. I'm not an advocate of extreme anything. I'm not comfortable at my current weight. I dislike struggling with things like bending over to tie my shoes. I want to be healthy.

In order to lose weight, I have to change the way I think about my eating habits. The rules for losing weight - eat less and exercise more - are clear in my mind. Being allergic to bran requires I adapt my eating. What everyone else considers healthy isn't for me, like whole grains.

Using my food allergies as an excuse for not becoming healthy is no longer acceptable. I may have been born this way, but God has a way for me to work within the natural laws to become my best self. Hopefully, I've reached the point where I'll no longer stand in my own way.

The new adventure starts today.

"You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself" - Jim Rohn

4 comments:

  1. I'm on a diet, too. My trick is that I eat a big meal in the morning, then snack on fruits and veggies the rest of the day and don't eat again after 5 pm until the next morning. I find I eat out of boredom most of the time, not hunger. I'm trying to drop some weight for health reasons, too. My hormones go beserk when I carry extra weight. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also finding eating my big meal of the day first thing helps. I'm a stress eater. Stress is a part of life. If you have no stress, you're dead. So I need to rethink how I handle stress.

      Delete
  2. You're completely right that thinking about your eating habits is a big component of weight loss--there's no silver bullet diet plan or workout routine, and even if there were, it wouldn't do much good if you set yourself up to fail.

    It can be so difficult to know in your head what you need to do to lose weight, but actually DOING it is a whole other kettle of fish. You’re certainly not alone on that front, though. When we do things that sabotage ourselves, it’s usually to fulfill one of our other needs–like when you eat more because you’re stressed out or having a bad day. Understanding these behaviors and changing them within yourself is the real key to weight loss. Take a look at the video in my link. It does a great job explaining our different needs, and how we can repair ourselves to fulfill those needs with healthy habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right, Courtney! And thank you for sharing the link. I enjoy Tony Robbins' presentations. I watched one the other day on the difference between defeat and confidence, and all he did was roll his shoulders forward and back. I've been practicing walking and sitting with my shoulders squared, but oh how easily I slip into the old habit of rolling my shoulders forward. Thanks again for sharing!

      Delete