Thursday, November 15, 2012

Christian or not?

There's been a discussion about what qualifies as Christian romance and what does not.

The characters having faith does not qualify a book as Christian. Having redemption in a book does not qualify it as Christian. Having the characters do nothing more than hold hands and share a peck on the cheek seems to be a must for Christian.

This is why I land in trouble. I'm Christian, so I write Christian, but not Christian. The typical Christian romance usually doesn't resonate with me because I find them unbelievable. I wonder if there's something wrong with me that I can't wrap my mind around such innocence. There isn't.

I'm a survivor. I write from a survivor's perspective. My heroines are all survivors. I don't know how to write women any other way. It's what I know. My heroes, so far, are also survivors though not always in the same way as my heroines.

My heart is in what I write, which leaves me with a bit of a dilemma. I'm looking for a reviewer for Luck In Love. The reviewers I know like a steamy read. I don't write steamy. The Christian reviewers I've investigated aren't fond of my type of book. They prefer the traditional formula. In fact, I don't know anyone who writes what I do... except some of the other Desert Breeze Publishing, Inc, authors. I'm grateful I found a home.

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever find a reviewer for this? Hope so! Does an author have to have a reviewer do the book as it's published or something? I've never published anything, so I don't know all the ins and outs. I imagine there's more to it than just getting the book accepted and print ready, and then wait for the sales to come in! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. A good review helps with word of mouth, which is the best way to sell a book. "Write a good book and have people tell other people how good it is."

      Delete