Thursday, April 18, 2013

Made me think...

A short essay was written about Christ being the Eternal Victim. I chose not to share my views at that time. I wanted to think about it first.

I have never viewed Jesus Christ as a victim. Yes, a victim is defined as someone who suffers from a destructive or injurious action. However, victim always creates in my mind a sense of powerlessness. Something was done to you that you could not control or change.

Jesus Christ was never powerless. He chose to endure what he endured. He chose it. He could have ended it at anytime by calling on the powers of Heaven. He knew the greater plan and chose to endure instead.

How does Jesus understand and wholly empathize with a victim?

Not because He was a victim but because He is perfect. He possesses perfect empathy. He knows what it is to be brutalized for no reason, to be rejected, to be hated, to be demonized. He also knows what it is to be betrayed, humiliated, abandoned, alone. He experienced hunger, thirst, weariness, and pain.

He endured every agonizing moment so that in those moments when we don't know how to reach for Him, He is able to reach into his perfect experience and share every hurt, every disappointment, every anger. Yes, even anger. He was angry at the desecration of His Father's house. He understands anger.

He endured Gethsemane, the trial, and the Cross so that when we loose our way, no matter how dark and filthy and ugly the way, He knows where to find us and is able to lead us back if we will choose to follow in His way.

He will not force us. He will love us no matter what. He will entreat us no matter how many times we turn away. He holds out His hands, the hands carved with His everlasting love for us. We need only turn to Him, reach for him, look at Him, and He will guide us to joy and peace, even in the midst of turmoil.

After all He went through, how could I possibly ever complain to Him, "It was too hard."

Instead, I'm learning to say, "Help me take the next step."

It is rarely what I expect.

It is always so much more than I ever imagined for myself.

How often I wished I could traverse this life with more grace.

I'm ashamed of that sentiment now.

Jesus Christ is my Savior, and His grace is all the grace I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment