Thursday, October 24, 2013

One of my favorite breakfasts...

When I lived in Thailand, before I learned I'm allergic to eggs, one of my favorite meals was khai yat sai. I've included it in Saving Lisa Book 3 in The Silver Locket Sisterhood series. Here's a little sneak peek:

"...stir-fry ground meat and set it aside. Stir-fry the veggies and set them aside. Pour a scrambled egg or two or three in the pan. Roll the pan so it spreads out like a crepe. Cook for a minute or two, add the meat and veggies in the center, and fold the egg over it like an envelope. Serve with rice."

"You make it sound so easy."

"It is." He shrugged.

"What about the seasonings and wet ingredients the cook added?

"You mean the soy sauce and fish sauce?"

"Fish sauce?" Lisa wrinkled her nose and eyed her food.

"You liked it until I told you what it was," he chuckled. "You don't have to use it. Garlic and peppers are also optional, as you've already discovered. Thai cooking is pretty forgiving. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, a quick stir in the wok, serve with rice, and you're done."

"I don't own a wok."

"A fry pan works, too." He leaned forward and studied her. "Why are you making this harder than it is?"

No comments:

Post a Comment