Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A bit about essential oils...

As I look for healthy routines to help me focus in my writing, I'm exploring all the senses.

I'm experimenting with essential oils and carrier oils. My skin is sensitive, to put it mildly. I can't even use some of the so-called hypo-allergenic products. Scents often elicit strong reactions, not only physical but also emotional.

I've always loved roses, but the oil doesn't elicit the same reaction as the actual flowers, so I'm guessing it's a combination of scent and visual. Roses also have varying levels of scent, depending on their genetics. Lavender has been my go-to oil for years, as well as tea tree oil. A few years ago, I discovered cocoa butter for my skin.

For years, I've dabbled in scents. Candles were an easy, pretty inexpensive way to explore. Over the years, I've looked at essential oils, but they can be expensive. This year, I decided it was worth investing, a little at a time. Expanding my world is long overdue.

My most recent discoveries include jojoba and avocado oil, as carrier oils, and my own spray bottles. Vanilla oil is different from vanilla for cooking. The latter is made with alcohol so dissipates quickly. The former lasts much longer. Jasmine oil gives me a boost of energy simply by breathing it in, along with a smile I can't stop. Frankincense and myrrh help me relax and sleep at night.

There are scents that are considered popular, but they trigger negative responses in me. Some of them, I simply don't like the scent. Others actually trigger annoyance and even anger.

The dollar spices available at the store are great for putting in my garbage cans. My favorites are cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment