Thursday, October 12, 2017

There and Back Again Day 4

The official start of ALEP. Registration started at noon. However, there were things to do, starting with First Breakfast. We chose to eat at Village Inn. The others, L, S, and T, had all eaten there before. I was trusting them from beginning to end.

This is not the chain "Village Inn." It's a little place you'd overlook if you didn't know what you were looking for and might bypass if you judged the place by first glance. Not fancy would be putting it mildly. It was... comfortable, well worn type comfortable. No table clothes. No matching tables or chairs. I'd been craving biscuits and gravy, not something I've successfully made myself. It wasn't expensive and hoped I'd made a good choice. Oh. My. Goodness! I will never be able to eat biscuits and gravy anywhere else ever again. It was heaven on a plate. Big, fluffy biscuits covered in a tasty gravy that blessedly wasn't over-peppered. Yes, this is my cheat food for pepper. I didn't even feel like I was cheating. It was simply delicious.

I have never been with a group and talked and laughed so much. We had to cram in as much as possible because it will be another three years before we meet up again.

Lights needed to be untangled and checked for the Party Field, for the Saturday night activity. S was helping with registration, so L, J, and I helped T with the lights. By the time we finished, it was time for Lunch. I was still full, but the others wanted to visit Kentucky Fudge, on Harrodsburg's Main Street. It has all kinds of historical memorabilia from when the place was an old pharmacy and soda shop. "I'm going on an adventure!" I went along. L and S had been bragging about the malts available. I ordered a chocolate malt. Oh. My. Goodness! I have to wait three years to order another one. Planning ahead. The others were tempted by the grilled cheese sandwiches. I was tempted but not hungry enough to follow through. The malt was enough.


Back to the Shaker Village. We officially registered at the West Family Dwelling, where we also lived. The fun begins, well, more fun begins. My help wasn't needed in registration, but they needed help in the Trading Post. Some attendees brought products they'd made to sell, clothes, pottery, jewelry, CDs from Marc Gunn, who plays the autoharp, and yes, you can find his music online. L and I went over to see if help was needed there.


Master Baggins taught those present how to ring up a purchase using mine. Yes, I'm still horse crazy. I planned this purchase. The White Tree and the Banner of Rohan. I couldn't choose.

I took time to put my feet up before dinner. I wore the brown stretch velvet gown. I rode with S to the barn, for dinner. It's an old tobacco drying barn. We were fed half a roasted chicken and vegetable, like zucchini, and Shaker Lemon pie. Well fed and entertained by Marc and skits prepared by attendees.

The western view from barn the first evening of the official opening of ALEP.

2 comments:

  1. The banner of Rohan is fitting for a horse, but I'm glad you also got the White Tree! Love the black horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too! I also thought the horse might be Snowmane. :-) I couldn't resist the black horse and the White Tree. :-D

      Delete