Thursday, April 14, 2016

Posts About Me 8

This is the eighth in a series of posts about me. I hope these help you decide my books are worth the read. I also hope they help save time for those who have no interest in my books. I know there's nothing more disappointing than expecting one kind of book and discovering what I'm reading isn't something I'm interested in reading. Not all books in a single genre are the same. Authors in the same genre are as different as football players on the same team and cupcake bakers. A lot of similarities but no two are alike.

The Holiday, USA series was intended to be a series of novellas, one a month. HA! Live and learn.

I've mentioned before that I struggle with dyslexia. I prefer short stories to long. I prefer longer Regency stories and shorter contemporary. All these contemporary characters crowded my head. I also love the holidays. I always dreamed of decorating my house for each holiday. Someday. Holiday, USA gave me the opportunity combine several ideas. I love ongoing series where previous characters make an appearance.

I also came to the realization that I may never have a place of my own, so I created one.

Holiday, USA is a town of 7,000 to 10,000 people. I wanted it big enough so everyone didn't actually know everyone but small enough that most people were connected. In one of the stories I mentioned that the Six Degrees to Kevin Bacon was excessive. It's small enough to have a centralized downtown and big enough to have their own hospital to serve the town.

The Holiday, USA series gives me the opportunity to spotlight a single couple with a common landscape for all the couples, though Carson McDonald and Terra Connor (Christmas Present) were an exception.

It all started with Happy New Year? The following link will take you to the page on this site that shares the blurbs and covers with each book:

http://laurelhawkes.blogspot.com/p/holiday-usa.html


The next novella is Leap of Faith Day. Edits are in the works. Add a book cover and it will be added to the other novellas available on Kindle. For those who prefer paperback, the four novellas published during the year are gathered into one anthology available through CreateSpace and Amazon.

The next About Me post will tell you about my cover artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment