Monday, January 2, 2017

Monday Quote

King George VI quoted from the poem "God Knows" by Minnie Louise Haskins, in his 1939 Christmas broadcast. The first few lines are the most famous portion. However, I found the poem as a whole inspiring and apropos for the New Year. Written in 1908, it was privately published in 1912. I looked for copyright information specific to this poem and couldn't find anything. I'd rather error on the side of the author. Since the first portion has been widely used, it's all I'm sharing here. I'd encourage looking up the poem as a whole. It's beautiful.

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:
“Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.”
And he replied:
“Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God.
That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.”

No comments:

Post a Comment