Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Bits and bobs about writing...

I spend a lot of time researching. It doesn't matter which series I'm working on. There's always something I need to know. Here are a few of things I've looked up lately:

Draft breeds. I needed a pair of dray horses. I looked at several and decided on the Clydesdale. They were bred in Scotland, not long before my story takes place.

Moon phases, in 1817. Yes, timeanddate.com provide the date of the new moon, first quarter, full, and third quarter.

Sunrise and sunset times, comparing winter to summer. I've learned about astronomical twilight, nautical twilight, and civil twilight. Also available at the same site, though I figured this year would be close enough.

I search maps for towns for my stories, and then look up the towns.

In the upcoming Tarnished Knight, Jack sails into Berwick-upon-Tweed. It's a walled port town in northern England, almost to the Scottish border. After visiting their webpage, I want to visit.

The problem with research: It's distracting. The next thing I know hours have passed. However, I've a much clearer picture in my head of the places my characters live.

2 comments:

  1. Research is definitely distracting and a time eater, but I don't think it's ever wasted in the long run. Even if you never specifically use the facts you learned in your research, the story you are writing is deeper and stronger because of the knowledge that underlies what you are writing. It comes through somehow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ((Margaret)) I love your perspective. :-)

      Delete