Saturday, August 9, 2014

Of dragons...

Beth Trissel shared a delightful post full of quotes about dragons:

http://bethtrissel.wordpress.com/2014/08/05/always-speak-politely-to-an-enraged-dragon-steven-brust/

Sometimes, I'm sorry there will be no dragons in my stories. There's a special place in my heart for the magical scaly fire-breathing creatures.

I grew up with Custard the Dragon, my earliest recollection of a dragon in a delightful book by Ogden Nash.

Puff the Magic Dragon, the song (a poem first), written by Lenny Lipton, was actually based on the above story. Really. The belief it was related to drugs was attached after it was written. In fact, the relationship was implied by a magazine article.

This reminded me of another song with supposed "hidden" meanings. "Horse with No Name" was also supposed to be filled with hidden symbolism. However, when the writer was interviewed (something I watched), he was baffled by the claim. He stated the reason he wrote it the way he did was because "the words went well together." Yep, as simple as that.

I also remember the uproar about the music group AC/DC, another interview I watched. One of the group members admitted he'd seen it on the back of his sister's sewing machine. Yes, the power symbol.

This reminds me how important it is to go to the source as often as possible. Scriptures and prayer are great ways to check in with the Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment