Monday, November 5, 2018

Introspection...

It's important to know one's self.

Every once in a while, I wonder if I should branch out in my writing. I have several friends who enjoy romantic suspense and cozy mysteries. I enjoy reading romantic suspense, occasionally. Could I write it? Broadening my writing might glean more readers.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Walking up at 5 AM, with my heart racing is not for me. Dreamed about driving on a trip and stopping at a place where cars and buses stop. Certain unsavory characters decided to hold people hostage. I escaped.

I was, at first, disappointed in myself for running away. Then I looked at the dream a little differently. I didn't run away; I went searching for help. I knew I'd be useless on the inside. I have no particular skills for fighting. However, I excel at finding help.

In addition, I have friends who love scary movies. I don't. What you live through isn't entertainment.

I don't like being forced to be inside a killer's head, which is where you have to be willing to go in order to write about their motive. Spending a significant amount of time living on the edge is how I spent most of my life. I'm done, now.

Yes, a little suspense is found in my books, but it never lasts for long. I read books to escape not find myself right back in the mess that looks like my life.

Granted, life is much improved. I'm learning to laugh and be happy. I don't ever want to go back.

So, if you're looking for me to write suspense or mystery, sorry to disappoint. Not sorry. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment