Monday, July 12, 2010

Onward and upward....

I did a bit of re-writing on the current WIP and it works better now. While I was working out the conflict issue with my current WIP, I found myself writing snatches of dialogue for a new WIP involving one of the characters in the current WIP. Yes, it can be incredibly confusing. And people wonder why writers seem so eccentric. How do I ever explain about the sister of the hero, who has decided to tell me more about her life, and because she's talking, her hero has presented himself to give his support, and the background info is helpful -- to a point -- but isn't pertinent to the current WIP, but in order to get it out of my head, I have to write it down because her voice simply grows louder and louder, demanding attention, and I'm unable to continue with the current WIP until I at least start her story, so she'll give me a little peace, maybe... you get the picture. It's difficult enough feeling crazy without anyone suggesting I am because they don't "get it." Odder still is the reminder that God blessed me with this gift. God has a sense of humor, no doubt about it.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I well remember a story I wrote that was fairly short, but I had to actually sit down and write out notes on the entire history of the thing, with all the characters and what they did and what happened to them, in order to write the tale itself -- which was essentially the end of a story. I didn't really want to get into the beginning part, but I had to deal with it -- and of course, it helped me know exactly how to write the end.

    So there is method in our characters' madness -- and in ours! Even if some of our background writing never sees the light of day, it always is useful in helping us understand our characters better, and they will seem more real on the page if they have a history -- even if it's known only to us!

    ReplyDelete