Thursday, May 19, 2011

Done but not finished...

Yes, everything is written, but I'm into editing now. As I edit the WIP, I wonder if I ought to change it, here and there. I found it curious as I read about other authors developing the habit of leaving a book when it's finished and never going back. I love re-reading good stories. Now, I'm beginning to understand. It isn't that you don't love the work any less; it is a matter of coming to the realization that one is for ever finding a way to make a story, maybe not better, but different, thinking of little details that would be fun to add, which make other details already written less significant. Deep breath, and let go.

2 comments:

  1. I think we also change over time as writers -- even a short time -- and so when we go back to edit, we are able to see ways to improve grammar or punctuation, or notice the use of a certain word too many times. I am in the process of re-editing something for the third time; it was good enough before, but each time makes it a little more solid. I think there's definitely room for being flexible in making changes, even after you think you are finished. I can't imagine not going back to a story I've written -- not just to make sure it is up to par with my current level of writing, but also because it's just awesome to be reminded that yes, I really did write that and it's good! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm noticing that as I edit, today. The chapter I'm currently working on really had a lot of excess material. I hope I'm able to go back, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete