Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tina Pinson shared a link...

"Writing With C.S. Lewis" over at crosswalk.com:
http://www.crosswalk.com/family/homeschool/resources/writing-with-c-s-lewis.html?ps=0

I decided to explore it. I'm in the midst of edits. This is my opportunity to make sure what I mean is what I've actually written.

1. Sentences: I've found quite a few I've re-read now, and they don't make sense. Some I've cut, and some I've re-written.

2. Words: I agonize over my word choices. One of my favorite quotes is from Mark Twain: The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

3. Concrete nouns: I need to work on this one.

4. No adjectives: What a challenge. They're great for outlining the ideas. Sometimes I do this well; sometimes I'm lazy. It's a skill I think will improve with practice.

5. Small words: This one is interesting. I write both Regency and Vintage. In Regency, I endeavor to use older language, which often means larger words. It gives the story a flavor different from my Vintage, where I use modern language. I don't use anything I haven't read elsewhere. 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your edits! I should be editing right now, but instead am resting. (And lusting after a new novel to start...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a great editor, who's given me some truly helpful suggestions.

      I don't know about you, but my TBR list is massive. Kindle makes it easier, i.e., I don't have to see the books actually sitting in piles. :-)

      Delete