Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day...

One dear hero will receive a special treat over at FB, today.

https://www.facebook.com/LaurelHawkes

I hope you make the day special.

Being single, this holiday is kind of a tossup. Sometimes, I don't care. Sometimes, it's really difficult.

This year, I'm trying something different.

I'm not going to pretend like it doesn't matter, because it does. When asked "What do you want to be when you grow up?" my answer was always the same: I want to be a wife and mother.

I'm not.

To be honest, I'm not sorry. God saw things in my life I didn't. The choices I would have made 20, 10, or even a year or two ago would have made me miserable. I thought I had my priorities straight. I didn't. I think I do now. Fortunately, God knows, and He's in control.

I'm not going to be miserable and throw myself a pity party either. Terribly unproductive things, pity parties.

I'm celebrating learning how to love. I think I finally am.

Having fun is important, too. I decided to buy myself a little hand blender for my banana/Carnation Instant Breakfast milkshakes. Summer is coming, and I'm ready. I'll also be using it for creating some natural beauty products, as I do much better without additives. :-) What I didn't buy myself: A box of chocolate or flowers. I realized that those things aren't about love. I enjoy those things. I love them like I love cookies and cake and pasta and a pretty place setting and a charming trinket.

Love is something you do for God, someone else, and yourself.

4 comments:

  1. Amen! I only got to see this today (Fri Feb 15) but it was well worth it!!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I want to celebrate Valentine's Day at least once a month. One day a month to focus on love... probably not nearly enough, but I have to start somewhere. :-)

      Delete
  2. Celebrating "Valentine's Day" once a month is a GREAT idea! I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete