Thursday, October 30, 2014

It's fall...

The weather is blessedly cooling. The leaves won't change colors around here for a while yet. I do enjoy the pictures others share. I like the quote "Autumn is my favorite color." Yes, that. This is actually a bit funny, considering the fact orange and brown aren't among my favorite colors.

Looking about me, I have every little in brown or orange. A stuffed Jack-O-Lantern, wood frames... I like how God uses those colors. The beauty of red maples with black trunks leaves me breathless. The array of hues and tints as the leaves change on the East Coast feeds my soul, a feast for the eyes.

The air smells different in the fall, crisp, earthy, the last of summer fading away.

Around here, the winter grass appears, fine blades of bright green, soft, not like the scratchy summer Bermuda or sharp St. Augustine. I want to walk in it, but know it isn't strong enough to withstand such abuse. It's still lovely.

The sky is blue, like an Arizona desert sky, but not scorching like our summer skies. Blessedly, we don't practice Daylight Savings, so there's no worrying about which way the clock moves this Sunday.

I saw this posted on Cute Puppy Pictures widget:


2 comments:

  1. I love fall, too -- it's my favorite time of year for the color and the smell and the crispness. It still looks like fall here, but it's very cold and blustery today and they had snow in Wisconsin -- predicting a possibility of snow in Chicago, as well! :-D Fall is always over too quickly around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our apple tree won't start to turn until December, and the leaves won't fall until January. The new buds will appear in February. We won't see any of that funny white stuff. ;-)

      Delete