Tuesday, November 18, 2014

What I write...

I'm endeavoring to open up about who I am and what I write. It isn't easy. I've spent my life protecting myself. Letting down my guard does not come naturally. I want to be a better person. I need to change. This is one step.

I watched bits and pieces of a few movies this past weekend. They weren't worth watching. I caught the segments I did because I was channel surfing. Both movies, filmed decades apart, portrayed the men as jerks and after only one thing. The women were stupid and after only one thing. One was after the physical relationship and didn't care who gave it to them, and the other was after the emotional relationship and didn't care who gave it to them.

Neither portrayal is true. More importantly, neither portrayal is healthy.

Are there men and women like that? Of course. The reason stereotyping works is because it fits on the surface. Dip below the surface, and everything changes.

I don't write the typical romance novel. I don't enjoy reading the novels that portray men or women as stupid or jerks. For the record, it does provide conflict, but it isn't one I enjoy reading. There have been authors I loved in the beginning of their career and stopped reading as their work evolved. It's all right to not like books that others love.

For me, a huge factor is how emotionally/mentally healthy are the characters. As an abuse survivor, I do not want or need more examples of unhealthy relationships. I have those down pat, already. It's no fun to read a book where I keep thinking, "These characters need counseling, now."

I endeavor to write characters who are flawed but are also learning to be healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment