Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Took a break, today...

If you want a good way to critique your own writing, become a judge in a contest. This advice was given to me a couple of years ago, and I'm finding it still holds true.

I'm waffling about how much detail I want to put into The Project. My BFF editor knows a lot of the stories and told me, today, that she wishes I'd included more. That being said, it's scary deciding to no longer be a secret keeper. That is how abusers maintain their power: If you tell, you'll be in trouble or others will not believe you or you will cause others pain. The lesson is learned to a punishing degree. Change is not easy. I don't have to decide, today, and I can change my mind, tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. That would, indeed, be a hard thing to have to decide. You want your book to be helpful, in which case it's good to include stories that will help to the best degree -- but those stories are real things that affected you, and it's bound to be difficult to open up in some cases. Praying for wisdom for you as you waffle!

    ReplyDelete