Thursday, March 10, 2011

Do Not Forget to Breathe...

I had one of my manuscripts critiqued. It was very encouraging, and wonderfully precise in what I needed to change and improve. I'm still debating if I want to use my real name or my pseudo for publishing. Not really important, at this time; something else to think about besides the work ahead of me. I'm doing another re-write, changing plots, names, goals... it's barely the same story I started out with, and I mean barely! The original had some great ideas, but I had so much yet to learn. Now, I'm using what I learned. I've discovered that I need an outline when I write. I need to know where I'm going. Is it balanced? What will be the darkest moment? What, precisely, are their goals, separately and together? I've also discovered that this basic stuff has to be done by hand. But when I start actually writing scenes, it needs to be in the computer. I could easily be overwhelmed. Consider this: My PTBW (which doesn't actually pay-the-bills anymore, but something is better than nothing) didn't have anything for me, today. What this meant to me: I've had all day to work on the advice I was given, and did. Life is an adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes a day free to work on your heart project is what is needed more than the bill-paying thing. That's a kind of balance we don't often think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruth.

    A good reminder, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete