Friday, February 10, 2012

God bless his family...

Rest in Peace Jeffrey Zaslow, killed in a car accident, today.

http://news.yahoo.com/detroit-area-author-zaslow-killed-car-accident-003711889.html

I had heard the news earlier, today, but didn't appreciate the implication until I read the article for myself. He was the co-author of The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch. It was a life changing book. I wanted to live more like Randy. I was able to pull the book off my shelf, where I keep it in easy reach, and where I see it every day, next to my book The Warrior Elite by Dick Couch. I see them every day, as I work, reminding me to be brave and live life to the fullest.

A little about me: Being brave is actually something I'm pretty good at doing. I remember taking a self-improvement class in college, and one of the books assigned was Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway. I did, on a regular basis. Even so, I've lived in fear my whole life. There are so many things I've done in my life, most of which were accompanied by gut-wrenching fear. What if something went wrong? What if I failed? What if I was wrong?

I've been beaten down often enough to accept failure with a certain measure of grace. In truth, it felt like a normal state of affairs. To be honest, I've been more afraid of success.

These are habits I'm endeavoring to break. Not easy. Anything worth having or doing is worth working for, every day. Thank God, He has blessed me with friends who are supportive, and He brings books into my life with the message I need to hear at the right moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment