Tuesday, May 7, 2013

How I met Grace...

Grace Williams appeared in Luck in Love not as an actual character but as a person of influence in her brother's life. I thought I knew Grace and her story. She was the inspiration for Luck's award-winning triptych "The Savior's Gift." I knew her story was painful. My PLAN (my BFF likes to remind me it's a four-letter word and trecherous because once you say the word your cherished plan will change without your consent) was to write Grace's story in a few years.

As Luck in Love developed, Grace's story wiggled in the back of my brain. It wasn't uncomfortable, so it was easy to brush off. I'd tackle it, later. I did know enough to know it would be a difficult story to write. The PLAN was to put it off until I was better prepared.

God does not call the qualified; He qualifies the called.

When I wrote my proposal for the series, I already had a contract for 3 books over a year and a half. That would give me plenty of time to work on Grace's story. I figured the next series would be tacked on after the first series was finished. I blissfully sent in the proposal. I was offered the contract to publish the vintage series interspersed with the Regency series.

I signed.

Suddenly, Grace's story wasn't down the road a piece. It was NOW.

2 comments:

  1. "God does not call the qualified; He qualifies the called."

    Wow, how true and profound is that! And God has so many plans for us!
    Mary K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, He doesn't simply dump us in the middle of an adventure and leave us. He'll see us through if we let Him.

      Delete