Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Of Heroes and Heroines

Researching my own writing style I'm hoping will help me become a better writer as I improve by recognizing what works for me and what doesn't.

Heroes: They appear as they will be by the end of the story. I have to deconstruct them, find out how they became heroes. I've been surprised more than once. The biggest surprise was Benjamin Grace's Possibilities. As I learned his story, I wanted to dump him in the trash more times than I can count. Reading his transformation still makes me cry.

Heroines: They show up at the beginning of their journey and honor me with the opportunity to watch them grow and become who they're meant to be. I didn't like Cassandra Reluctant Knight when I met her in Unexpected Possibilities. She wasn't a nice person. It was tempting to dump her, but she needed to tell her story.

A bit like the above picture, all my characters begin out of focus. My responsibility is to sharpen the view and make them clear for the world to see. I pray I do their stories justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment