Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A few days...

The Desert Dreams Writers' Conference is sold out. Whoohoo!!

Last night, the Desert Rose chapter prepared for the conference. So exciting.

My sister shared secrets to achieving a great photograph, from the photographee's point of view. :-) It was fun and interesting. I didn't know a camera sees in gray, which is why a white dress will be gray and a black dress will be gray.

She handed out black spots to place on a mirror to practice "looking" into a camera lens, and editing your look in the mirror. More importantly, she emphasized that the camera reveals everything. If you hate having your picture taken, it will show. If you love what you're doing it also shows in your face. So even if you hate having your picture taken, think about something you love.

When she writes up the presentation, I'll post a link to her blog. (She doesn't know I've decided she's writing it up and sharing it, so it may not happen. I'm feeling bossy right now. I'll move past it, eventually.)

It was fun listening to her experience photographing Jimmy Thomas at the Glendale Chocolate Affair. Jimmy loves the camera, and the camera loves Jimmy, and it shows.

Proof (like it's needed, okay it's an excuse to post his picture; any excuse will do):



She also recommended taking a page from this little girl's book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg

I have to admit, we compared pictures she took of me when I was feeling nervous, and after I started to relax, and I could tell the difference. I'm working on learning to feel confident all the time. It takes practice. I practice, every day.

The rest of the Desert Rose meeting was spent filling swag bags for the conference. Wow! Lots of goodies! The committee did an incredible job pulling everything together. Susan Lanier-Graham and Tina Lavon are the committee chairs, and their enthusiasm and tenacity have been inspiring. There have been a lot of volunteers, and an incredible number of writers willing to contribute to the success of this conference. I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment