Thursday, May 31, 2012

Taking my writing seriously...

At the Desert Rose meeting (the RWA chapter here), we chatted about a number of topics. Kris Tualla reviewed Goal, Motivation, and Conflict. She has a gift for condensing information into its simplest form, for those of us who need crayon drawings. Her concise explanation hit home as I mapped my next WIP. The concept and a bunch of scenes are written, and I've shuffled scenes back and forth, until I admitted to myself a proper outline is the goal for this week. I hadn't needed to explore it before now because I've been working mostly on rewriting and editing the books scheduled to be published first. Pulling out pen and paper, I wrote concise answers to the GMC questions for the hero and the heroine. The entire backstory for the hero unveiled itself. It always makes me laugh to learn so may things I didn't know about my characters.

Anne Gracie also had an excellent article on writing this week.

http://romanceaustralia.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/keep-writing-by-anne-gracie/

I've added her hints to my 30 minutes of writing to upbeat music. I haven't done the 30-min write lately because I'm still too deep in the mapping stage. I don't know my characters well enough to know what they'd do in some situations. For example, in my current WIP, I discovered my hero isn't quite what I expected, and my heroine is far more stubborn than I expected.

*whispers* I've seen a rough draft of my cover, which could change. I cried; it's so pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment