Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Anne Patrick

I took the opportunity to ask a few questions of my own. Anne will be back tomorrow to answer any questions or comments, so please feel free to share either and/or both.

-->
1. What inspired Fire Creek?
Initially, back in the nineties when I first came up with the idea, this story was titled Deadly Visions and it was going to be a paranormal.  When I went back and finished the story last year I decided to take out the paranormal aspect because, let's face it, the market is flooded with these type of books and I'm really out of my element writing one. As to what inspired it, I was a huge fan of Murder She Wrote.  This story/series is based very loosely on that premise.  Kasey is a lot younger though, and she has a handsome sidekick, or partner in crime, in Jimmy Little Raven.

2. Was there any special research involved in the writing of Fire Creek?
Although the town of Fire Creek is fictional, I did have to do a lot of research on the area of Montana where I chose to put it. I also researched the Blackfeet tribe and some of their beliefs, and my least favorite was laws concerning the execution of wills.

3. What was the most difficult part about writing Fire Creek?
Re-writing it from the original version was the biggest challenge and updating my timeline.

4. What was your favorite part to write?
Jimmy Little Raven playing his courting flute for Kasey. I still get goose bumps imagining it’s hallowed sound. How it would imitate the sound of a lone wolf and the scream an eagle.

5. What's coming next?
My next release will be Betrayal, book three in my Wounded Heroes series, February 15th, 2013. Those following the series will be in for a treat as I bring all the earlier characters together for as special occasion. Readers can get a sneak peek at the characters of Betrayal and Dauphin Island here: http://woundedheroes.weebly.com/sneak-peek-into-betrayal.html

--> And now for a closer look at Fire Creek:

-->
Kasey Montgomery has returned to her hometown of Fire Creek Montana after the apparent suicide of her cousin. Within days of Beth's funeral, Kasey begins to find inconsistencies in her death. The local sheriff is quick to dismiss the allegations as figments of a writer's imagination. Kasey is determined to prove otherwise. Does the bronzed skinned stranger from Beth's funeral hold the answers?

Local park ranger, Jimmy Little Raven suspects foul play too. Beth was engaged to his best friend who died months earlier from a mysterious accident.  Risking his heart and his job, he teams up with the famous mystery writer to find the answers to both deaths.

EXCERPT

Kasey rounded the corner onto the street where she’d left her car. She stopped dead in her tracks at the sight of Jimmy Little Raven leaning against the hood of the Firebird, his arms folded across his chest.

It took several seconds to recover from her initial shock before she walked over to her car. "What are you doing here?"

"Never mind that. What were you doing in Woodward’s office?" he demanded.

She avoided his glare, as her mind raced to come up with a logical explanation. Lying was out of the question, not that it'd do any good anyway. He had no doubt seen her through the window, explaining the noise she heard.

"Do you realize how much trouble you could get into if anyone was to find out you broke into his office?"

"No one’s going to find out... unless you rat on me. Besides, I didn’t break in, I had a key."

"You what!"

Before she could answer, her breath was yanked violently from her lungs as he lifted her up and dove, with her in his arms, onto the hood of the Firebird. The sounds of crunching metal, breaking glass and squealing tires followed. The earth seemed to rumble beneath her as their bodies rolled together onto the hard cement below.


12 comments:

  1. This is such an evocative cover! It sounds like a great read, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good interview! I'm always interested in what kind of research writer's do, so I'm glad that was one of the questions. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret, and glad you liked that. :-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Patty! Gwen Phifer did an excellent job on the cover. My appreciation goes out to her and the entire team at Desert Breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, Margret. Research can be a lot of fun sometimes :). Researching the Blackfeet was my favorite on this book. I loved reading about some of their legends and folklore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cky15: I came across your site by one of my newsletter and see that I would be reading this book. I am always looking for new authors to add to my to read list.
    I don't see to many books on natives. That you did some reseach on them and enjoy learning about them. That is great!
    I read the comment that you have the lord in your life. Alot of people forget that we are in this world not alone. Good that you can put your faith in him. That is great to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cky15, thank you for your comment. Yes, the Lord is a big part of my life and my faith is reflected in the books I write through my characters. They struggle with their faith and have questions and problems just like some of us do in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Kindle is loaded with Anne Patrick books, and I've enjoyed them all. I especially like the way you weave a faith message into your stories in a non preaching way. I hope you have continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool, a new series. I'm loving your Wounded Heroes one! Can't wait to read Betrayal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Cassie! I'm thrilled you've enjoyed my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Crystal, thank you for your encouraging words about my WH series. I've just finished writing Betrayal and I have to say it's one of my favorites. Look for it's release in February.

    Thanks again for your comments! And a great big THANK YOU to Laurel for allowing me to visit her blog.

    ReplyDelete