Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Being Ladyhawk...

I loved CRB’s story. She’d done some editing for me on my story, and I offered to return the favor. She agreed. And so it began.

It started out as light editing, and then one time I sent back a paragraph completely rewritten. She loved it, and encouraged me to continue. I did. It was her story, so I was always mindful of keeping it hers. She wouldn’t like something, and I’d have to swallow my pride and rewrite. We would sometimes send stuff back and forth dozens of times until we had fixed every word.

Every single time, without fail, our editing back and forth always made the story 100% better. I love good editors.

I continued to expand my friendships within the community.

At the time, I was working for a company. It wasn’t the best situation for me. I was frustrated and looking for something more suitable.

Everyone on the boards (forum) knew about my horse and my work. I knew quite a bit about most of them as well, an eclectic group that shared a love for LOTR. I don’t know what I would have done without them.

My horse colicked. It was bad. My vet didn’t think he’d make it. He did, but I knew it wouldn’t be much longer. I had to make the decision all pet owners hate to make. My writing friend offered to call. I was terrified to share that much more of myself. She was supportive and encouraging. She was my first taste of unconditional love totally untainted by the insanity of my childhood. I screwed my courage to the sticking place and asked if I could call her the day after. It would be the first time in five years I wouldn’t wake up at dawn so I could go grain my horse. She readily agreed. I called her and cried, and she was perfectly okay with that. She’d had me call her at work. She was totally focused on me and what I needed. It solidified a friendship that has grown for the past 10 years. With her, I was Ladyhawk and Judy. I was as whole and complete as I knew how to be.

2 comments:

  1. It's really good to be re-experiencing this journey with you in this way! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((Margaret))) Neither will I ever forget the email you sent asking how I was doing. Thank you for blessing my life.

      Delete