Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A new door...

When I went to see Fellowship of the Rings I never anticipated what it would mean to me. FotR isn't the first movie I've been passionate about. Ladyhawke, The Man From Snowy River and Return to Snowy River, The Princess Bride, to name a few, have all been watched so often I've memorized them.

What was different about FotR?

I now had access to the internet.

Wanting more information about the movie, like when Two Towers and Return of the King would be coming out. I went searching for the official movie site. I not only found it, I also discovered the online community there. People who loved the movie as much and more than I did. People who didn't know about my past or what I looked like. They didn't care if I was rich or successful or not. They knew absolutely nothing about how messed up I was. I could be the person I wanted to be, and there was no one to call me on the performance.

Sounds dishonest.

In order to participate in the community I had to create a "handle," a persona by which I'd be known in the LOTR community. I agonized. My imagination had been crushed. I was afraid of daydreaming. I was tired of seeing my dreams in ashes, so I stopped. Yes, it's possible. I wouldn't recommend it. It's difficult to learn how to dream again, but I'm rushing ahead of myself.

I fretted and debated.

Finally, I remembered a nickname I'd been given a half-dozen years before. Ladyhawke. A fellow student in one of my classes bestowed the name on me because of my eyes. Arguing was not even a consideration. I was more than willing to take it. Now, I wanted the nickname back.

I signed up, and entered a terrifying, intimidating, and brave new world. :-)

*If it seems like I'm taking a long time to tell this story, I am. For one thing, I know details matter. Entire "vistas" have opened with a single, perfectly timed thought. For another, I'm in the midst of editing, and to be honest, my brain is all but dead. Editing is harder and takes longer than the actual writing of the story. The initial writing only requires the framework. Editing requires all the fine-tuning, shuffling, re-arranging, remodeling. I'm jumping ahead of myself again. Back to the story, tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. I joined the community myself because I had been looking into whether subscribing to the movie-related magazine would be a good idea, since I knew I would be out of the country for the next film after FotR. When I was led to the community in the process of my research and read some of the discussion going on, I couldn't bear not being a part of it, so I signed up. I believe it was a heated discussion about Aragorn that got me interested in making my opinion known.....

    I remember the agony of deciding on a handle! I actually knew immediately what name I wanted, but it was agony during that brief wait while the site tells you whether someone already has that handle or not! As I recall, I got my name in the nick of time, because someone else wanted it but I was in first -- I didn't find that out until later, of course. ;-) Thus I joined what was to become the Fellowship of L, lol!

    Such names are very important. If it's a name we love or identify with, it can give us confidence, and eventually that confidence becomes a part of who we really are. You are still using your name, which is as much a part of you as breathing now, and I am still known by my name in some circles. I get called by in in real life sometimes, and I answer, lol!

    Looking forward to the continuing story as you are able to tell it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been such a joy sharing the journey with you, Margaret!

      Delete
  2. "Walk on the left side!"

    Sorry, couldn't resist. :-) I think you and I would have a very fun movie marathon together, Laurel. :-) You've listed some of my favorite movies. I love The Man From Snowy River, and The Princess Bride... there are no words.

    "Inconceivable!"

    It's amazing when we find that 'thing' that reawakens us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, April! I'm so glad to have you along. :-)

      Delete