Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I am a writer...

I didn’t know I was about to lose my job. I was told they needed time to implement a new system, and then I’d be working again.

Where was the harm in devoting my new free time to writing while I waited?

I took the advice of the judges and re-wrote my book.

I was informed my job no longer existed.

Time to regroup and review.

I had the time: why not see if I could pursue my writing?

Desert Rose has a mentoring program. I enrolled myself. I received more great feedback.

You know what I learned?

Regarding the first rejection: I wrote a horrible query letter. If I’d received the query letter I’d written back in 2007, I would have rejected me, too.

With help from published writers within Desert Rose, I rewrote about half the book and the query letter, then submitted the query letter, synopsis, and first three chapters.

As the months slipped by, I kept writing.

I received the request for the full manuscript.

More months slipped by, and I kept writing. I also researched publishers including self-publishing. I reached the point where I prayed my manuscript would be rejected because I was beginning to realize the company I chose wasn’t a good fit for my story or for me.

God answers prayers.

I was rejected. I cheered and did a happy dance.

I combed through the story one more time. I talked to my friend Kris Tualla, who has both self-published and published through Desert Breeze, and she suggested Desert Breeze Publishing.

Acceptance! And a contract.

I AM a writer.

2 comments: